Thursday, July 10, 2008

It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it....

Got this error in the Backup history:

Object SSO failed in event OnBackup. For more information, see the error log located in the backup directory. SqlException: Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'SSO'. No entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly. BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.



Found out that in the Backup list there was a database called SSO that was listed for backup. But, it does not exist on the SQL server:




So, how do you edit the list of databases? I gave up searching cause I didn't find any good answers. I wanted to be able to edit the xml file that builds the list of databases to be backed up, (like the spsbackup.xml) but that is created when you run the backup...

I did a really quick and dirty solution to this: I ended up creating an empty database called SSO on my SQL server and now, the backup runs without any errors! Sometimes you just have to be a little dirty to get things done :)




Wednesday, July 2, 2008

BDC part 2

The struggle with the BDC (Business data catalog) continues and so far I am able to return a search result inside the Editor, but still not in Sharepoint. I think it has to do with the authentication. I use PassThrough, since WindowsCredentials needs SSO (which I have not enabled on the server). Here are some printscreens of what I have done this far. I have installed the Business Data Catalog Editor that comes with the SDK (read here). After the connection string is set, I am able to select the table that I want to get data from:


Uncheck the fields that you want to exclude from the query and press OK. Press OK again to confirm the connection. Now your entity is created:


Make sure that the “PassThrough” authentication is selected. Test the bdc file by opening the “Parameter” and “Instance” and select the instance. Rightclick and select “Execute”. Enter a value, for example a customer number and make sure that a value is returned:


Export the xml file. And then, import the xml file to Sharepoint (application definition file):




The import:



You will get an error message about the profile page, but nevermind. The message is “Could not create profile page for Entity NaB Solutions AB$Customer. The error is: Cannot create a new connection to closed Web Part g_c01d1f2b_0382_45a2_ad6e_07ce86936b3a". But, this is obviously not an error to care about. It is just a warning! Press OK to continue.


Now, go to your website and add the webpart for Business Data. Lets start with a list, enter a new column and select “Business data” as type. Enter the instance and select the fields you wish to display:


In my list, if I try to enter a character, it says that no exact match was found. If I click on the "more items" then it is empty as well:


And the “picker” where you can browse, is not selectable and there is no data in the column:




So I skip the list and select a webpart instead. The first web part is the Business Data Items. And that gives me the following error (Business data catalog object not found). I have tried them all Business Data List, Business Data Item etc but noone gives me any data:



None of the webparts displays any data. So I figured that something was changed in the xml file while I imported it. So I exported the file from Sharepoint and imported it back into the Editor. Tried the Execute, it works.

This error turns up in Event Viewer but I don't know how to correct it - yet: